Friday, September 10, 2010

DC = Emotional Trouble

For this post, I need to start at the beginning which is to say that I used to live in the Washington, DC area. I moved away with a conscious choice of lifestyle over career potential. I was also sick of the politics, crazy post-9/11 security concerns, and my general dissatisfaction with the area. Over the years I have come to appreciate DC for the beautiful areas, the great museums, and the great friends that I am still in touch with. In fact, I thought that I was coming to an understanding with DC and have mildly flirted with moving back from time to time over the last year or so.
I don't think that DC wants me back! I travel there for work between three to four times per year. In the last four trips, something relatively horrible has happened to me. Last September, my grandfather died while I was enroute to DC. While waiting for my flight home, I ran over the Memorial Bridge to the World War II monument that always reminded me of him. This past February in DC, my estranged husband and I finally agreed to start divorce proceedings via e-mail. While not a surprise, it was still emotionally draining. That night I discovered the most decadent peanut butter and jelly sandwich at Potbellys. It was probably 5,000 calories and delicious. The story goes on...in June my Grandmother died while I was on a trip that included DC. I diverted home to another funeral and found myself back in DC grieving. I took a boat ride on the Potomac one night marveling at the peacefulness and beauty of the lights and the river.

I am currently in DC and what could possibly happen? My 'boyfriend' breaks up with me out of the blue via text message with no explanation. If this wasn't happening to me, I would be laughing. In the meantime, I am going to run over the Memorial Bridge to a Potbellys to get a PB&J and take a boat back to my hotel via the river. Maybe that will center me.

In the meantime, I am not sure what to think about my next trip to DC...or if I even want to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment