Thursday, May 6, 2010

My First Blog Entry

Hi everyone, this is a true first for me. I am starting this blog to outline the trials, triumphs, and tribulations that I will experience over the next year training for Ironman St. George with the Triabetes team. I am a Type 1 diabetic living and training for triathlons in Hawaii. Triabetes is out there to change stereotypes about diabetes and educate people about the disease.

Let me tell you, even though I have lived with diabetes for 11 years, I learned a ton of things this weekend with my Triabetes teammates. Most importantly, I learned a lot about attitude. I have HATED having this disease since I was diagnosed. I have wanted nothing to do with it or acknowledging it as part of my life. I really see myself as a "normal" person who just happens to have to count carbs, test my blood sugars, and take insulin. I have never joked about the disease and have never been able to take it lightly....until this weekend when I met the 2010 Triabetes team and support crew. first They were able to share a new perspective that included a lighter side that could joke about things while still being steadfast in treating and dealing with the disease.

I look forward to sharing my experiences with you over the next year. I hope to learn a lot.. Thanks for reading, I hope that you can get something from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment